Of electrodes and being told what I already knew

I spent 2.5 days in the hospital to confirm the diagnosis of right temporal lobe epilepsy with complex partial / focal seizures. Of course I had a seizure before they hooked me up to the electrodes and I was only able to force myself to have one the first day I was there. They had to keep me on the Lamictal because of the allergic reaction concern. They could lower the Keppra, but since that didn’t do anything in the first place, it didn’t much matter. I’m now at half the dose I was before I went into the hospital and I’ve doubled my dose of Lamictal. The nurse practitioner was surprised that I was seeing results at that low of a dose, but that’s a positive sign. The therapeutic level is between 200-700 mg per day so maybe they can keep me on the lower end of the dosage and it’ll control the seizures. The doctor also said they saw a lot of abnormal activity even when I wasn’t having a seizure that lasted in bursts of 4-5 seconds. Apparently it has to last 10 seconds or more to trigger a seizure. Now that I’m aware of those bursts, I think I can feel them. I won’t feel like I’m going to have a full on seizure, but I feel a little funny, especially behind my right eye. In the end, they told me to keep doing what I’m doing, make a follow up appointment with my regular doctor, and no driving. I was also invited to take part in a research study, but I haven’t read the paperwork yet. Considering a research study literally saved my dad’s life, I’m inclined to participate. At least all of that is behind me. I told the doctor that I want to exhaust the medicinal options before they consider cutting my head open. That would require an even more intense study that involves putting electrodes on my brain. Nothankyou.

I did find a ride to work. One of my coworkers said he could ferry me around while his wife is on maternity leave. That takes care of the next 3 months. If the medication keeps working, I’ll only be grounded for 6 months. So far, so good. That would mean being mobile once more in late February (fingers crossed the meds keep doing their job). In the meantime, I can stay in shape at home. We have a whole gym in the basement for all intents and purposes. I sit on my exercise ball when I’m on my computer at home. I try to walk at least 30 minutes when I’m at work. Boy is buying me a FitBit as our anniversary gift so I can track my calories and such. Much appreciated. Speaking of Boy…

He sat with me in the hospital Monday until my mom could come in the afternoon. Then Tuesday night he not only brought us dinner, he brought me my favorite deviled eggs from one of my favorite restaurants. It was one of the sweetest gestures anyone has made for me.  I seriously almost cried over deviled eggs and I’m okay with that. I have the best boyfriend ever. Be jealous. 😛

And now I start over and adjust to my new normal. Let’s see how that goes.


Leave a Reply

Fill in your details below or click an icon to log in:

WordPress.com Logo

You are commenting using your WordPress.com account. Log Out /  Change )

Twitter picture

You are commenting using your Twitter account. Log Out /  Change )

Facebook photo

You are commenting using your Facebook account. Log Out /  Change )

Connecting to %s